"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" Douglas Adams

Thursday 18 March 2010

Flax Flowers

It was my mams birthday last weekend, so this weekend my sister and I are going to her house to cook dinner. We're having a curry night, with dahl, onion bahji and other curried yummies :-)


Yesterday I learnt how to weave flax into flowers as the Maori do. So this evening I've made a small flax flower bouquet for my mam (since I'm potentially going to be unemployed in a few weeks and we are being thrifty hahaha).

I am only a beginner, though I am quite happy with my first wee bouquet , I added some beads to the centres and as the flax dries it will have more shades of green.

4 comments:

  1. Great that you learned a traditional technique. Reminds me of thatch basket found in the Caribbean. Oh-and please let me know how to make a good dahl - I tried once, it was not successful, it was like chicken feed, but the chickens wouldn't even eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nominated you to receive the sunshine award! Please visit my blog for details: http://theartofzencrochet.blogspot.com/
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really great. We hope to be joining all in New Zealand this year soon, fingers crossed. Trying to learn all there is to know about NZ and Maori ways. Love the blog.
    Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! These are amazing! Thanks for visiting my blog lately :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments :-)