"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" Douglas Adams

Tuesday 3 November 2009

Paper Clip Lace Crochet

Today I discovered how to crochet hairpin lace.
I taught myself with the help of the most fantastic resource in the world - the internet. I found this site the easiest to follow, http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5429.asp the pictures were very clear and allowed me to see if my picture looked like theirs (which is always a good start!)

I've used a really big paperclip and re-bent it, to turn it into a hairpin lookalike. I put the cellotape at the end just to stop the lacey bit flopping about when it got long ('flopping about' is a technical term).
I'm quite excited by the results, especially this one, which I made with pink cotton, my big Paperclip and a #4.5 crochet hook. After I did the hairpin bit (I had 32 loops on each side) I did a single chain along one edge went a bit further for a tie and turned it into a choker.
I think it is very feminine and quite victorian :-)
I get very excited when I find a way to expand my repertoire! Now I'm trying to think of all of the ways I can incorporate it into what I make, and how to make different hairpins so I can vary the size of the loops and use different yarns. I'm thinking shawls and broom sticks!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea using the large paperclip. This looks very pretty. Your piece looks like it would make a lovely border or an embellishment for a picture frame or something decorative.

    Thanks for the tip!
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Jenni from Lush Boutique.. absolutely love your blog. You are so talented, and your posts are very entertaining. I'm so jealous you live in NZ.. I visited there once when I was younger and I wish I could go back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm so impressed :) I wish I could crochet. I wish I could sew... I'm so bad at anything like that. You are talented too :)

    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments :-)