"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" Douglas Adams

Monday 4 October 2010

Sport - A four letter word with an extra letter

New Zealand is a ‘rugby nation’
All rugby players are demi-gods
We have heroes for soccer, car racing, golf, hockey, cricket, netball, softball, basketball, lawn bowls, surfing, skiing, cycling, and any other pastime that is called sport.

I don’t like sport
I don’t enjoy playing it, I'm not competitive enough
I don’t enjoy watching it, I was a rugby widow which means I've watched enough to last a life time
I do my best to avoid it on the telly, like most reality TV :-)

Except…

Just yesterday in New Delhi, the 2010 Commonwealth Games started!
71 countries and over 6000 athletes have all got together and that means track and field!

I love track and field, all that running and jumping and throwing, it makes me want to run around the car park and hurdle fences

In the spirit of spring I’ve joined a 10000 steps a day challenge through work and am now attached at the hip to my pedometer.

Will it keep up with me when I’m pretending to be John Walker, Peter Snell, Murray Halberg or Lorraine Moller?

Since I run around the car park and hurdle fences in my head, watching the real athletes in awe whilst lying on the couch with my crochet hook, the real question is will I ever get to 10000 steps in a day!

3 comments:

  1. You sound like me. I'm not competitive either. I guess it's ok if you feel the need to prove something to yourself and the world, but it's just not me. The only thing I really enjoyed was walking, bicycle riding, swimming (in a pool) and when I was young, running (ok, sprinting like in tandom races)...I only like to watch iceskating and ballroom dancing because of the pretty costums and the flow...

    Maybe instead of a pedometer you could get a stitchometer to count how many stitches you crochet and get into the sporting world that way LOL

    I dispise reality shows! Buh-humbug - I've got enough reality in my life, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing a pedometer challenge at work too - ours differs a little in that we're walking the length of the North Island in teams of 5 over 7 weeks so not a set no. of steps a day. Now in week 6 my fitness has improved and I haven't had to compromise any work/home/creative time and it's amazing how much you can walk in your lunch break - good luck I'm cheering you from the sidelines!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you well with your challenge :)

    You know because America isn't part of the commonwealth we (ex-pats) never get to see the games here. I guess I will have to scour the WWW.

    Have a lovely day T. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments :-)