"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" Douglas Adams

Monday 12 March 2012

Sewing Stuff

This past weekend we were in Wellington and had the chance to go Unveiled, an exhibition at the national museum Te Papa. 
It covered 200 years of wedding fashion from the Victoria and Albert Museum in London (fab!).


As I looked in awe at the hand made lace and dresses of the 1800's I thought it might be about time I shared my first adventure into the skirt making dream I had not long ago.

Lets just say, I learned a lot; including such gems as the difference between bias tape and piping, that I need to measure before I start cutting, and stretchy cotton is pretty stretchy to sew, even though it might not feel like it, oh and it looks way better off than on....

All in all a really good learning curve :-)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gill, You have been busy :)

    I love the free work, it is like my abstract artwork, it takes you on an unknown path right to the end :)

    Hope you had fun at the wedding and the V & A exhibit I bet was awesome :)

    I like your skirt, the fabric and I am sure it looks fine on :)

    I just got my nearly 30 year old sewing machine serviced and now it doesn't work as well, so back it will go, bummer :(

    Hope your weekend was fun, take care, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very valuable lessons - the next one will benefit from your experience :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very jealous, would love to see that exhibit! Am hoping to dig my (also 30 year old) globe sewing hibernation and re learn to sew. All these things I want to make but need to re learn the basics again first!
    Very cute skirt!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments :-)