"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" Douglas Adams

Friday 25 February 2011

O for Awesome and O for Awful

I am in awe of the fantastic spirits of the Christchurch people.
I read the news, I cry. 
I watch the news I cry.
For the valour.
For the courage.

I can't comprehend the thought process of (as an example) people who would break into someones' home whilst they are at the cordon area waiting to hear about whether their family members have survived.
Who are these people who look for stuff to steal in a city that is so crushed?
Is it really possible to have such little compassion? 
Can people who are there really have no emotional attachment to what has happened?  
I have. 
And I'm 1020 kilometres away!



And so a glass of wine, whilst I balance the good and amazing against the stupid and  shouldn't exisit.
I'll show you the craft stuff another day

4 comments:

  1. The aftermath of a natural disaster is sometimes worse that the disaster itself. We learned that after Hurricane Ivan when we were in the Carribean. People get scary when they do not have water, food, shelter. Life has a whole new meaning.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with those who suffered, and hope there aren't too many stupid people who take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (that one up there was a blank one :-) )

    It's fabulous how much help and thoughts and wishes have come from around the world.

    The officials are incredibly well organised and there has been shared shelters, food parcels and water available for those affected. These are just the ignorant ones :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments :-)